Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Foam Dagger: part 2

So the Smooth-on supplies I ordered came in the mail a little while ago, and, the more I looked at them, the more worried I became.  The amount of silicone in the trial kit didn't look like is was going to cut it given the size of the box I made.



I decided to take the walls in even closer to the knife by tracing its general outline to use as a template.  



I used 3M super 70 spray glue to adhere a photocopy of the tracing to MDF boards that had been laminated together to the proper thickness.  



A quick run through the band saw (sorry no photos) and I was able to start gluing the spacers into place.  (yikes, those cuts are sloppy) 



The center walls are finally done and sealed up with three brushed-on coats of primer.  The line of sharpie indicates where the two silicone halves will split apart.




Ok.  I think I'm in the clear, but I know better than to just assume I'm right.  Now that the entire MDF box is sealed with primer and no longer moisture sensitive, I can take a volume measurement using water and a graduated container.  No photos again, sorry... Oh wait, heres one that should pretty much sum up the situation.



That's right, I *STILL* don't have enough silicone to make the entire mold.  Looks like I'll be going back on to Smooth-On.com to make another order.  While this is moderately frustrating, I am pleased with how the plug for the dagger turned out.  Just finished the wet sand and buff on that, so I'll leave you off with a few photos of how it turned out.




p.s.  I've uploaded a handful of older photos from past projects over at My Flickr page.

No comments:

Post a Comment